Lifestyle, Travel News

How to Help Parents Immigrate to the United States?

Staying as one family in the same place can be difficult for immigrants. As the number of immigrants in the United States continues to rise, processing applications to help your parents move to the United States has been openly accessible to the public. Sometimes the steps to immigration happen because previous families moved a number of years ago and they have had some success, so descendants may want to do the same. They can first look into their family history by searching their names using related resources like to see whereabouts they may have gone, this can help those that are looking to immigrate connect with other descendants of their family along the way.

Much similar to other immigration law applications, filing a visa for your parents would require legal assistance. By hiring an immigration lawyer, similar to the professionals at companies like Muldoon Britton, transactions throughout the entire process can be more manageable. To know more about how to obtain your parents a residency ticket in the U.S., here are some of the details you might want to jot down.

Personal Qualifications

As the primary sponsor for your parent’s Green Card application, which gives them the legal evidence they need to live permanently in the United States, you must first qualify before application. To submit a petition for your parents, you must instead be a U.S. Citizen and 21 years old above. Green Card holders are not qualified to propose a plea for their parents to have permanent residency in the country.

Requirements Once Eligible

If you are eligible to apply (based on the personal qualifications), there are different types of forms per parent scenario. However, all of them require submission of designated documents, a copy of your Birth Certificate with you and your parent’s name, a copy of your Naturalization Process or U.S. passport, and a copy of your parent’s marriage contract.

In exceptional cases of step-parent, requirements include filing pieces of evidence of annulment, divorce, or death certificates to prove that the past marriage ended legally. Moreover, in the case of an adoptive parent, you must also provide substantial proof that the said parent legally adopts you. You may submit evidence of adoption certificate before you turned 16 and detailed statements (with dates and location) that you have lived with your adoptive parent.

Notification of Decision

Once you have completed and submitted all requirements to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you will be informed by them whether your petition is approved or declined. If commended and your parents are outside the country, they will be summoned by the local United States Consul to have consular processing of their visa. On the other hand, if your parents are already in the U.S., they may now file Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status). In contrast, you file Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative).


Helping your parents immigrate to the United States involves a lot of patience and hard work. However, with the help of an immigration lawyer, all the details needed for the application will be singlehandedly provided. The important part is to be informed and hands-on during application to be aware of how it works legally.

Immigration Law covers a wide range of cases, and most of its types require an immigration lawyer. Let us know how we may extend our assistance. You may visit the website ( or call us at (713) 589 – 2085 to schedule a consultation.